Thanks, everyone

--Boundary_(ID_ABWUXSHnePabIjzH38qKSQ)

Dear All

When sending the first message and query on 'snuff' I was fully =
cognisant of the problematics it was raising in that I was sending it to =
this list -- even before the nature of the question itself.  And for =
this reason, I am very grateful to all of you who took the time to =
respond -- and for the moderator for allowing the question on air.

Perhaps I should give a bit of background to the question from a moral =
direction.  A couple of weeks ago, a documentary was screened on South =
African national television on the atrocities committed in Sierra Leone. =
 This was without question the worst and most graphic rendition of war =
atrocities ever run in this country and served the basic and =
reprehensible notion of a snuff movie.  I know of a number of people who =
watched it out of sheer curiosity, which is probably a similar mindset =
to that approaching the pornographic counterpart in filmmaking.

In evaluating the politics of display in contemporary Fine Arts to =
fourth year students, I am looking at a very wide range of visual =
disciplines :  the internet has become of considerable importance in the =
past few years, and performance art generally has become rather popular, =
as well as video art.  I raised this question in order to get a sense of =
opinion amongst an art practising and art aware group of individuals.  =
Admittedly I should have addressed it possibly to an Art Crit list, and =
will be doing so, but by addressing it to a Book Arts list, I feel that =
the response was less guardedly academic, and am very grateful for this.

Whether or not I will raise the issue in my lecture remains to be seen =
-- I guess it depends where the feedback from the students will lead me.

best,
robyn sassen

_
R   O   B   Y   N      S   A   S   S   E   N      &      P   E   T   A   =
   K   A   P   L   A   N
for Frodo Originals.  Proprietor : Peta and Robyn Originals cc =20
URL   :   http://www.artslink.co.za/frodo/
email : mephisto@global.co.za=20
P O Box 10 Bruma 2026 South Africa Tel + 27(0)116161019=20
_
DOMINUS PROVIDEBIT :  NON ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM.

--Boundary_(ID_ABWUXSHnePabIjzH38qKSQ)

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Dear All</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>When sending the first message and query on 'snuff' =
I was=20
fully cognisant of the problematics it was raising in that I was sending =
it to=20
this list -- even before the nature of the question itself.&nbsp; And =
for this=20
reason, I am very grateful to all of you who took the time to respond -- =
and for=20
the moderator for allowing the question on air.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Perhaps I should give a bit of background to the =
question from=20
a moral direction.&nbsp; A couple of weeks ago, a documentary was =
screened on=20
South African national television on the atrocities committed in Sierra=20
Leone.&nbsp; This was without question the worst and most graphic =
rendition of=20
war atrocities ever run in this country and served the basic and =
reprehensible=20
notion of a snuff movie.&nbsp; I know of a number of people who watched =
it out=20
of sheer curiosity, which is probably a similar mindset to that =
approaching the=20
pornographic counterpart in filmmaking.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>In evaluating the politics of display in =
contemporary Fine=20
Arts to fourth year students, I am looking at a very wide range of =
visual=20
disciplines :&nbsp; the internet has become of considerable importance =
in the=20
past few years, and performance art generally has become rather popular, =
as well=20
as video art.&nbsp; I raised this question in order to get a sense of =
opinion=20
amongst an art practising and art aware group of individuals.&nbsp; =
Admittedly I=20
should have addressed it possibly to an Art Crit list, and will be doing =
so, but=20
by addressing it to a Book Arts list, I feel that the response was less=20
guardedly academic, and am very grateful for this.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Whether or not I will raise the issue in my lecture =
remains to=20
be seen -- I guess it depends where the feedback from the students will =
lead=20
me.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>robyn sassen</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000=20
size=3D2>________________________________________________________________=
__________<BR>R&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
O&nbsp;&nbsp; B&nbsp;&nbsp; Y&nbsp;&nbsp; =
N&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
S&nbsp;&nbsp; A&nbsp;&nbsp; S&nbsp;&nbsp; S&nbsp;&nbsp; E&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
N&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &amp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
P&nbsp;&nbsp; E&nbsp;&nbsp; T&nbsp;&nbsp; =
A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
K&nbsp;&nbsp; A&nbsp;&nbsp; P&nbsp;&nbsp; L&nbsp;&nbsp; A&nbsp;&nbsp; =
N<BR>for=20
Frodo Originals.&nbsp; Proprietor : Peta and Robyn Originals cc&nbsp;=20
<BR>URL&nbsp;&nbsp; :&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://www.artslink.co.za/frodo/">http://www.artslink.co.za/frodo=
/</A><BR>email=20
: <A href=3D"mailto:mephisto@global.co.za">mephisto@global.co.za</A> =
<BR>P O Box=20
10 Bruma 2026 South Africa Tel + 27(0)116161019=20
_____<BR>DOMINUS=20
PROVIDEBIT :&nbsp; NON ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_ABWUXSHnePabIjzH38qKSQ)--