ramie

Recently I've come across some  ramie thread. I was thinking about using it
for an exposed spine chain link sewing. I was wondering if anyone had
experience with using ramie to sew books. I found info on ramie, listed
below, and was concerned with the statements about ramie being brittle.  Has
anyone got a book a few years old sewn with ramie--how has it held up?

Ramie info
Ramie (Boehmeria nivea), also called China Grass or filasse, is a member of
the nettle family. Ramie is one of the oldest vegetable fibers and has been
used for thousands of years. Ramie is classified chemically as a cellulose
fiber, just as cotton, linen, and rayon. It is resistant to bacteria, mildew,
and insect attack and does not shrink.  But it is low in elasticity, lacks
resiliency, has low abrasion resistance and is stiff and brittle.
Ramie is one of the strongest natural fibers and exhibits even greater
strength when wet. It possesses little elasticity and is somewhat brittle and
stiff. This causes fiber breakage and abrasion where creased or folded
repeatedly.
The inner structure of ramie differs from the other plant fibers in that the
physical form of the cellulose is rigid and crystalline like linen but is a
more porous sieve-like form providing it with even better absorbency than
other cellulose fibers. The unevenness of fiber has a strong resemblance to
the thick and thin appearance of linen. In addition, it is softer with better
dyeability.