Re: ramie

Don't use it for sewing. I use ramie tapes (available through Bookmakers)
for sewing small thin books where I don't want a lot of bulk. The tapes
allow for nice and flat sewing. This is mostly a cosmetic thing.
Structurally, I would probably cut strips of thin Hollytex or Reemay. The
ramie is brittle and wouldn't hold up to repeated flexing.

Why use if for sewing at all? It's a cosmetic thing. Depending on the
number of signatures and books a linked stitch would be more
effective/stronger. Just takes longer though.

Peter

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography