Birchbark

Dear Colleagues,

Please follow the two links below to look at some pretty amazing art work
completed entirely with birch bark.

It comes in a variety of shade and if pressed flat and shaved thin is easy
to work with. But as Peter says I would only use it in decorative panels as
it is too brittle to be used across a hinge. I have used it on some books in
multi piece abstract panels and in worked quite well. The various pieces had
to be scraped down to the some thickness with a razor knife blade. The
panels were then finished with a polymerized Tung oil to fix the panels.

The artist her puts all of here panels under glass.

http://home.att.net/~amibach/birch1.jpg

http://home.att.net/~amibach/birch2.jpg

Have a good one

Kurt Klappenbach