Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 23 Feb 2000 to 24 Feb 2000 (#2000-53)

I also use birch bark only as an onlay, it is far too brittle to be used  as a hinge. But I have
shaped it by both soaking or steaming first and allowing it to dry in the desired shape before
applying.  I will pad the back where it does not meet the board.  I don't finish it in any way and I
have one clamshell box that is 14 years old, and it hasn't cracked or peeled.  The bark I use comes
from deadfall.
Melissa Jay Craig
Chicago