Re: Careful with PB Presses - Terminolgy

I have read the recent messages on the PB press with interest.  As an engineer (bookbinding is a hobby) I would suggest that the cross member - unless built with a substantial cross section, perhaps 4x4in - could be stiffened with a steel plate bolted through each side of the yoke ( I use this term for the wooden beam as the milkmaid of yore would carry the milk pails on a wooden yoke across her shoulders!).  One only needs to think of floor joists, which have depth, but their width is relatively narrow for an analogy.  In fact gluing an additional wooden member underneath the yoke (having cut a clearance hole which in itself makes the member weak) and screwing upwards into the yoke each side of the vertical screw rod should make reasonable repair, although it will always be weak as the original crack cannot glued together.  Perhaps this member is a replaceable item?

I have occasionally seen in antiques shops here in the UK a linen press on top of a chest of drawers or by itself, which sounds to be similar the Pottery Barn press as described - at least they look similar to my nipping press at home.  The wooden yoke is good enough to press clothes, but would not be suitable for the heavy pressing of book stack such as achieved in a standing press.

An earlier message referred to the terminology of nipping and standing presses.  The nipping or copying press I believe was used in the late 1800s for copying letters in offices.  The standing press comes in different varieties, but as its name implies is large and "standing-up".  A French standing press is very substantial made from wooden members, the cross member taking the large screw thread may be ca 1 ft square in cross section and can take the very high thrust.  A more modern hydraulic standing press will use steel uprights and cast steel platens.

Rodney Fry
Berkshire
England
<crfry@iee.org>