Re: A Request for Information

Audrey.

<http://colophon.com/gallery/afeda/maestros/> at the Colophon page has a
great online exhibit of the work of several you mention including dates.
All are French.

I would also suggest looking at Alastair Duncan's book (big,
glossy,lush...) Art Nouveau and Art Deco Bookbinding. [NY: Harry N. Abrams,
1989. VG in VG DJ, crown 4to, hardcover, 200 pp., 252 illstns., 202 in
color, Art Bookbinding Art Deco Art Nouveau] It contains more detailed
bios. as well.

The Duncan book may well be to early for Georges Leroux. The Biblioteque
National published a catalog of his work though.

Check with Bill Drendel. If you don't have the book, I know he does, or
used. I also found 16 copies at <http://www.bookfinder.com>. Average price
$60. Bookmakers has the Leroux catalog. Might be something you want to get
for Columbia College anyway.

p.

At 10:34 AM 2/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anyone out there know anything about the binders/artists Rose Adler,
Alain
>Devauchelle, Renee Haas, Georges Leroux, Pierre-Lucien Martin, and Lucienne
>Talheimer? We need to know the nationalities and
>birth/death dates for these folks, and I would appreciate any good annecdotes
>y'all might have as well.  (I know they all sound French.  They probably are
>French, but I hate to assume things.)
>
>Thanks,
>
>Audrey Niffenegger

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography