Re: Perfect binding machine

There are several. There's the TemPeR made by Pete Jermann, which sells for
$449.00 from Gaylord, and the Planax. The TemPeR is a very nicely made
wooden device but I found it a bit awkward on a production basis (only used
it once).

The Planax is a German machine, a bit on the $$ side, but it allows you to
glue in the round among other things. A description of the one I use here
at Syracuse and have used in other places can be found at
<http://www.planatol.de/german/planax02.htm>. It can handle up to a 18"
high textblock. The glue-in-round feature is great because it helps the
books really keep their shape. Is it worth is financially, I don't know,
but on a production basis it is easier to use. The company website is
<http://www.planatol.de>. They also formulate glues for adhesive binding.

Hope this helps.

Peter

At 08:15 PM 2/29/00 +0200, you wrote:
>I vaguely remember someone mentioning a machine for fanning books for
>perfect binding, but I can't find it in the archives. I thought that a
>web site of a manufacturer was mentioned. Can someone remind me?
>
>Yehuda Miklaf

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography