Re: Newbie

Mary
Prior to the rise of Windows, the Mac was easier to use
because it offered less flexibility and fewer choices.
Sort of like a s/w automatic transmission. This is no longer
the case.
I have spent a lifetime in the computer industry and
I have known Apple & their top management very well.
It is a product for enthusiasts & fans, like any other brand
with customer loyalty. People who use it get very
emotionally
involved with it, and override common sense to defend what
they
believe they have a personal stake in  and a firm they
believe to be an
underdog, when in reality it is only a piece of Iron &
Silicon. This is
Apples impressive marketing talent at work. The reality is
that the
future belongs to the PC compatibles. When Apple takes this
step, and they
will, they will have a chance to stay in business.

If you do a comparison of any Apple h/w product with the
rest of the competition you will see that it is only a 'me
too'
product, still largely incompatible, with no choices
for the consumer.  With the PC, you get a choice among 50
brands of anything.
If you trade up with a PC, you can still mix & match & use
your peripherals and s/w.
As far as the applications software is concerned, Apple does
not produce it anyways, and suppliers are all switching to
PC platforms. All the main network equipment and servers for
the
Internet are PC based. In any case, for the CPU, we are now
talking about a $1,000 product. Basically, it is a throwaway
piece of equipment whichever way you go, so it is no longer
a big deal if you make the wrong choice.
Art