Re: Newbie

Mary, since Art has spoken for the PC route, I'll take the Mac route and
address its ease of use specifically.

First, the interface, which was an adaptation of one by Xerox, is easy
to use and navigate from the start. Once you've made some adjustments
and changed the preferences in Windows it can operate mostly the
same...actually improve some functions you repeat often, but that's only
after some experience and knowledge.

The second area is one of ease of upgrades, additional peripherals and
add ons. The Mac is a breeze, the Windows version is most always a
nightmare for a beginner or even an advanced novice. My step son is a
network administrator. He's always reconfiguring or doing damage control
on the sound cards, video cards, printer drivers and finding the tech
info necessary to bring (or keep) the computer up to his needs. The Mac
is not without its problems, but the time, frustration, and expertise
needed to maintain and upgrade a PC is enormous compared to a Mac.

In the major industry survey (GISTICS Incorporated) I cited before, the
ROI (return on investment) is three and a half times sooner with a Mac
vs. a Windows PC. The main reason is what they call the "futz factor".
You spend a great deal of time futzing with the machine and learning the
differences between software (DOS, DOS shells and Windows software all
run on PCs). Macintosh software, by the close control Apple retains over
the development, is very similar from title to title, which allows users
to get up to speed with different programs faster, less futz, more
creative time. In terms of money, a Mac based creative shop makes
$26,441 per creative "seat" vs. $14, 448 in a Windows based shop.

I came from Windows to the Mac according to the needs of the people I
wanted and needed to to business with, I think this should be a primary
consideration. I also think creativity is harder to come by when the
machine is  difficult to master. In your example with your
brother-in-law, the key seems to be his expertise, without which I doubt
your sister would so easily make this switch. I could easily switch,
neither machine is too difficult after my years of working with them,
but I'm invested heavily with software and don't have a compelling
reason to change. I'm also teaching on Macs at school and book arts are
in the course work. Am I on topic yet?

klatu, barata, nikto...I go in peace.

--
Darryl