Re: perfect binding machine

As a follow-up to Yehuda's question about "perfect" binding / double-fan
adhesive I'm passing this along thinking it might be helpful.

When I was visiting North Bennet Street school, Mark Andersson showed me
how they do it with a finishing/laying press. They use tubes (various
diameters slit in half) mounted in a cradle, jog the book spine into it,
then put in press to glue in round. Seems to work. I would jack up the
press and then jog the text and clamp to reduce chances of slippage. I'd
also put a piece of cardstock on either side to help support the text.
Either way, you get a book that's glued with the spine rounded and will
keep its shape better.

p.

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography