French Bookbinders

Adding to the material requested by Audrey Niffenegger about French
bookbinders, I referred to La Reliure, written by Roger Devauchelle and
published by Editions Filigranes, Paris, 1995. (This is the book publishing
arm of Art et Metiers du Livres, the journal of the book arts in France.
Their web site is http://www.aml-editions.fr/)

The listing in the book's index offers the following, which may help in the
research on some of the binders noted:

Cent ans de la reliure d'art, 1880-1980. Bibliotheque royale de Belgique,
Bruxelles, 1957.

Catalogues of the Society of La Reliure Originale, Paris, 1947, 1953, 1959,
1965.

Un demi-siecle des reliures d'art contemporaine en France et dans le monde.
Chambre Syndicale de la Reliure, Brochure, Dorure, Paris, 1984. (This is the
central standards-setting organization for France, and a tremendous
repository of Information).

Pierre-Lucien Martin. Bibliotheca Wittockiana, Bruxelles, 1987. (Catalogue of
the exhibition honoring Martin, a French binder, who was active during the
years 1948-1977.)

Masterpieces of French Modern Bindings, exposition, New York, Service
culturels francais, New York, 1947.

Reliures de XXe siecle, de Marius Michel a Paul Bonet. Bibliotheque royale de
Belgique, Bruxelles, 1957.

Art et Metiers du Livre, by the way, has consistently produced issues which
feature some of these binders - I distinctly recall Rose Adler, Martin,
Crette and Alain Devauchelle. The last, by the way, is a contemporary binder
and the son of the author of La Reliure.

One of the most knowledgeable people on earth is Jan Storm van Leeuwen,
keeper of Special Bindings at the Koninklijke Bibliotheek - the National
Library of the Netherlands in Den Haag. He could probably give you all the
information you need.
His e-address is <<Jan.Stormvanleeuwen@konbib.nl>>

Hope this helps! I'll be happy to provide more info if needed.

Paula Marie Gourley
Lilyhouse Bookbindery
Eugene, Oregon