Vandercook problem

Dear letterpress printers,

I have a Vandercook SP33 proofpress which I use for printing artists books.
I find that after about 40 impressions the gears that drive the rollers on
the carriage start to occasionaly not mesh properly, and it makes a horrible
grating sound as the carriage moves along.

I have found that spraying some anti-skin spray (clove oil) onto the rollers
helps to reduce this problem, but I don't like the idea of having this oil
in my ink for the rest of the edition.(I am using a jobbing black with no
dryers, so I can't understand why the ink should be drying so fast on the
rollers)

Not being a vandercook expert, I wonder if there isn't something I am not
doing correctly.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Mark Attwood

The Artists' Press
Box 623