Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 29 Feb 2000 to 1 Mar 2000 (#2000-59)

The General Binding Corporation Model T320 thermal binder has a heated
platen which tips back and forth as the glue on the spine is being melted.
Meanwhile, the text block is held vertically and the pages slide up and
down. This produces double-fan gluing with hot-melt glue, though the sheets
at the front and back of the book get more of the effect than the ones at
the middle of the book. I produce better results by using a wooden frame
which supports the text block vertically on an electrically heated,
thermostatically controlled, teflon-coated griddle. The frame is tipped
back and forth as the glue melts, so all sheets are double-fan glued by the
same amount. As with cold glue, double-fan gluing with hot-melt glue
increases page pull strength considerably.
Rupert