Re: what is "sugar paper" ?

Don't know what "sugar paper" is, but for filling in the boards after
trimming out the cover and before casing in, use what has the closest
thickness. It could be anything from a good text weight paper to card
stock. I've used 80# mohawk/dove grey/permalife, stonehenge, rives,
arches... whatever I happen to have that has the right thickness and whose
stretch properties will work best with the covering material and pastedown.
Everything I use is at least acid-free, preferably buffered. In connection
with stretch, remember that you want the forces acting on your board to
ultimately be balanced. This means that covering material, board, filler,
pastedown need to = a flat board.

p.

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography