Re: Vandercook problem

Re your Vandercook problem: You are probably already being careful not
to let the ink dry out too quickly by turning off the press while you fix
typos, was your hands, etc., which will eliminate that as a possibility
for the gear problem. I first encountered this problem with a Universal I, and
tried everything, including taking apart the oscillator via long-distance
phone instructions from an old-time press mechanic. Finally a colleague
told me a simple solution: if you begin the run across the form when the
oscillator is all the way to the right (that is, when it has travelled
completely over to the operator side of the press) the gears nearly always
mesh and the shuddering problem disappears. I hope someone can explain
why.

Kathy Walkup

Kathleen A. Walkup
Director, Book Arts Program
Mills College                           P.o. Box 327
Oakland CA 94613                        Palo Alto CA 94302
                                        650 218 7431/tel
510 430 2001/tel                        650 325 7166/fax
510 430 3314/fax
kwalk@mills.edu