Re: To rep or not to rep?

Now this is not what you want to hear, but here it goes!
I like to look at this from the point of view of the rep.
Being a rep has lots of pitfalls.
If you do not sell much, the maker gets annoyed and you lose
the line.
If you sell a lot, the maker gets greedy, goes direct, and
you lose the line.
In any case, for a rep to deal with a private person with
little experience
is usually deadly for the rep. Artists can be very flakey.
Some of the stuff may never sell at prices proposed to the
rep.
A good rep will be a pro, carry other lines, and will
propose a contract to cover
these eventualities, and a trial period to determine a
reasonable sales forecast.
The high opinion of the artisan is usually irrelevant. Only
the market result is of value.
No prof. rep will take a line just to sit on it. What's the
point? Customer calls cost $.
No sales means no earnings. Some people think that slow
sales is the fault of the rep. I think that slow sales are
usually the fault of the producer, who over estimates the
saleability of his/her product. Also, if the product
benefits are really sophisticated,
[not obvious],no rep can be expected to do a job that can
only be done by the producer.

Art Rubino