Re: How design works

>>Bill Anderson said:
>>That's not how design works, thats how plagerism works. You deserve full
>>payment for the work involved, and I should be very skeptical of anyone who
>>would bend ethics to please a difficult client. Better to lose a client
>>than lose good talent.
>>
>Couldn't agree more.  Don't think that you lose good talent by doing this,
>maybe just the ability to believe in yourself and your own ideas.  But it's
>that same conundrum of earning a living or working with integrity that often
>gets me.

Have to agree as well. I was in this position once. As many of you
know, Rag & Bone Bindery creates blank books and Albums for the gift
industry. When I was first starting out, I visited one of my favorite
(unnamed) customers. And there on the shelves of their store where
exact copies of my books. I was furious! Even though the store owner
confessed and apologized for asking a local binder to copy my own
designs, I was hurt and angry. We've since come to terms with the
situation.

I learned from the experience that if I come across a design for a
book that I happen to really like, I'll make sure that if I use it as
inspiration, the final product will have a uniqueness based on my own
design esthetics.

I think intuitively, customers and clients will know this. They will
feel it in your work, I hope that doesn't sound flaky... but If you
copy outright, in the long term your personal design sense won't have
firm footing.

Cheers!

Jason

                  r a g  &  b o n e  b i n d e r y

                  web:  http://www.ragandbone.com
                  fax:  401 455 3480
                voice:  401 455 3680
                 mail:  one allens avenue
                        providence, rhode island 02903

                 info:  handbound books, albums, journals,
                        guestbooks, baby books and more.
                        visit our web site for more information.

                        see you there!