Re: How design works

As I teacher of graphic design, I would like to add my two cents. I realize
this thread is moving away from the original one about how a firm took the
wedding invite and changed it a little, but if we are talking about copying
designs ....

The design for any project should come from specifics about the project,
not from someone else's work that you happen to like. Every project
requires a creative solution of its own: a look and feel that has some
inherent relationship to the words you are communicating, the people you
are communicating to, and the people who wrote the words.
gwen