Re: Sugar paper and its Origins , old kraft paper

>Sugar paper (for those of us old enough to remember!) was used to
>wrap 2 lb quantities of sugar here in the UK.    I can recall at
>home with my parents around the 40s-50s period that the sugar was in
>blue
>paper bags.  I believe it was how the grocers sold the sugar
>arriving in sacks in the shops.
>
>My old copies of Falkiner's Fine Paper catalogues also list sugar
>paper in 1986 and 1996 in various colours; the weight was ca 100 gsm
>and the price some 15 pence per sheet.  There is no indication that
>these were for book repair and conservation.  It is obviously a
>cheap and cheerful paper.
>
>I believe it was a similar paper that you will find on old books as
>they came from the printer as "publishers' bindings", cheaply made,
>which were then sold and the customer had them rebound, etc., to
>match his library - I have quite a few at home in this style where
there is a white (originally!) paper spine cover with printed title
label pasted on, and the boards are covered with the blue sugar paper.
>  I also have another book bound just the same; this 1788 book was
>also wrapped in very heavy, thick, dark brown "kraft" paper full of
>lumps and bits of material.  As this paper sample is probably quite
>rare I have kept this paper and the book in a slip case to show its
>original state.  The brown kraft paper I deacidified and the
>resulting solution was like tea without the milk!  The outside of
>this "book jacket" had the owner's signature in copperplate and the
>date 1802. What was this poor quality paper originally used for -
>wrapping parcels in those days? Or goods in shops?   Again I can
>remember at school in the earlier 50s we were expected to wrap any
>new school books in brown paper to help prolong there lives, perhaps
>this is an old trick!

  Rodney,
Thank you for more observation on the sugar paper!  That's very
interesting about books being sold with cheap coverings because
people would have them rebound, I never knew about that (one more
thing I never knew).

I too remember covering schoolbooks with brown paper here in the U.S.
when I was in grade school in the 60's, we usually recyled brown
paper grocery bags for that purpose.

I am curious about the de-acidifying, is this important to know how to do?

Just goes to show, there's no such thing as a stupid question.
Christine

--
Christine Cassidy Lontz
503 551 7030