Paste Paper vs. Paint Paper

For several years I have been making artists books
using simple acrylic paints on Arches Cover or
Stonehenge paper. Recently, I was told by another
bookbinder that I should not use straight acrylic
paints on my books and that I should use paste paper
paint instead. She said most "professionals" use paste
paint.

Here's my question: Are there any benefits to using
paste paint over straight acrylics? Will one last
longer than the other? Am I missing something or doing
something wrong by just using paint?

Thanks,

Kevin Thomas