Re: Paste Paper vs. Paint Paper

Huh? Paste paper paint?

The only problems I could see with using straight acrylic are
a: thickness which could cause cracking/stiffness along hinges and turn-ins
b: "tacky" feel to surface

Pastepapers are one of the oldest forms of decorated paper, made by mixing
acrylics/tempera/watercolors with paste/methylcellulose/combination
thereof. I always coat mine with either a microcrystaline or acrylic wax to
protect the surface, mostly from moisture which could cause smudging and
smearing. You could also use Krylon or something similar.

Last night, in my beginning bookbinding class we made pastepapers using
straight acrylics mixed with straight methlcellulose. Depending on
thickness of methylcellulose the papers either had more or less texture and
depending on amount of color they were either more or less intense. One of
my favorites is a white on white.

There is a collection of pastepaper recipies in the archive at:
27.html>

Experiment, have fun

Peter

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography