Re: Paste Paper vs. Paint Paper

--- Kevin Thomas wrote:
For several years I have been making artists books
using simple acrylic paints on Arches Cover or
Stonehenge paper. Recently, I was told by another
bookbinder that I should not use straight acrylic
paints on my books and that I should use paste paper
paint instead. She said most "professionals" use paste
paint.
--- end of quote ---

Kevin,

>From my view there is no right or wrong way to do something if what you are
doing works and accomplishes the purposes you wish.

I have done straight acrylic painting on paper and tyvek, as well as the more
traditional paste papers using paste and acrylics.  I am not an expert on either
technique, so others should jump in and give a more rounded picture.  But from
my experience...

Straight acrylics give you deeper colors and better coverage, but are not as
good for making distinct patterns.

With paste papers, since the acrylics (or other pigments) are somewhat diluted
with  the paste, you have a more semi-transparent feel.  Not that you can see
through, but they are not totally opaque like straight acrylic can be.  If you
layer colors or use a colored paper, you can see the colors below much more
readily.  And the patterns stand out much more, since you can see to the
layer(s) below.

>From a cost stand point, paste paper is cheaper since you are cutting down the
acrylics with paste, which is less expensive than acrylic.

But either way you go, as long as the end product satisfies you and works for
its intended purpose, there is no right or wrong way.

Eric

 Eric Alstrom       Hanover, NH
 Book: Artist | Binder | Conservator
 bookbinder@dartmouth.edu