ANNOUNCEMENT: Artists' Book Show at Athenaeum, La Jolla, CA

The Athenaeum's Third Biennial Artists' Books Juried Exhibition
March 11 through April 16, 2000
Reception: Friday, March 10, 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Athenaeum Music & Arts Library
1008 Wall Street, La Jolla, California
Tel: 858-454-5872
Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Wednesdays till 8:30 p.m. (NOTE: Library is closed Sunday and Monday)

Under the leadership of Executive Director Erika Torri, the Athenaeum has
been building a major collection of artists' books since 1991.  As the
collection has grown, so has its reputation.  It was appropriate that, in
1996, the library held its first artists' books juried exhibition, which
was so outstanding it was decided to make it a biennial event.  Torri
defines the medium: "An artist's book is not a book about an artist, or a
book about art.  An artist's book is a work of art.  For our Juried
Exhibitions, entries must be one-of-a-kind, or limited editions of no more
than ten."

Again this year, entries were solicited from artists throughout California.
  Juror Lynda Corey Claassen, Director of the Mandeville Special
Collections Library, UCSD, selected 39 pieces by 31 artists.  In describing
her passion for the medium, and her reaction to this exhibition, Claassen
said, "As might be surmised from my profession, books delight me.  And
artists' books delight me most of all -- not least because they tend to
break rules and defy our traditional definition of 'book.' They are books
with a difference, presenting a coherent vision of content and visual
imagery.  Artists' books offer a fresh avenue of expression to artists who
work in some of the more structured media, and the book artist
re-interprets our traditional notions of text,  narrative, and readability.
 The great range and diversity of artists' books submitted for the
Athenaeum's juried exhibition are testament to the exceptional quality of
work being done by California book artists.  They display technical
ingenuity, multi-media experimentation, and playful intelligence.  It was a
great pleasure for me to examine the many splendid candidates for this show."

Sibyl Designs /\ sibyl@san.rr.com
tel: 858.268.4647 /\ fax: 858.541.2260