paste paper

I am wanting to make a very durable, hard working journal/notebook.  Has
anyone ever  taken a regular 3 ring notebook from the office supply store
and:
1.  removed the vinyl and replaced it with paste paper, etc
2. applied paste paper directly to the vinyl or
3. applied the paste paints directly to the vinyl???
I am thinking of doing #3 as it would seem to be that would be the most
functional and durable. but #2 seems to be an idea too.
Ideas, comments??????
TIA