Paste paper/vinyl

--MS_Mac_OE_3035657834_110458374_MIME_Part

Regis,

My experiences with p.p. is that the finished product is often not very
durable. With a coating of spary fix, clear acrylic spray, or waxing it the
p.p. becomes sturdier, but not what I would call combat ready.

The idea of p.p. on vinyl seem like trying to put lean over fat, like
acrylic over oils, which doesn't have any decent sticking power.  I can't
imagine an acrylic or water-based medium like paste paper even thinking
about trying to stick to vinyl. You'd have to use an enamel to stick to
vinyl, and even then, I wonder about that.

I have been painting for the last 25 years, and acrylics are my medium.  I
use Golden brand for my fine art work as well as for my paste papers in book
projects. It's a very rich paint with more pigment and less filler (and a
bigger price tag).

Removing the vinyl from the notebook would make more sense. Then, again, why
not make your own notebook with three rings, etc.?  It won't be any more
work than deconstructing a mass-produced one and you will have more control
over the craftsmanship from start to finish.

Good luck. keep us posted.
Kitty

>From:    Regis Koslofsky <regisking@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
>Subject: paste paper

>I am wanting to make a very durable, hard working journal/notebook.  Has
>anyone ever taken a regular 3 ring notebook from the office supply store and:
>1.  removed the vinyl and replaced it with paste paper, etc
>2. applied paste paper directly to the vinyl or
>3. applied the paste paints directly to the vinyl???
>I am thinking of doing #3 as it would seem to be that would be the most
>functional and durable. but #2 seems to be an idea too.  Ideas, comments??????

--MS_Mac_OE_3035657834_110458374_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Paste paper/vinyl</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
Regis, <BR>
<BR>
My experiences with p.p. is that the finished product is often not very dur=
able. With a coating of spary fix, clear acrylic spray, or waxing it the p.p=
. becomes sturdier, but not what I would call combat ready. <BR>
<BR>
The idea of p.p. on vinyl seem like trying to put lean over fat, like acryl=
ic over oils, which doesn't have any decent sticking power. &nbsp;I can't im=
agine an acrylic or water-based medium like paste paper even <U>thinking</U>=
 about trying to stick to vinyl. You'd have to use an enamel to stick to vin=
yl, and even then, I wonder about that.<BR>
<BR>
I have been painting for the last 25 years, and acrylics are my medium. &nb=
sp;I use Golden brand for my fine art work as well as for my paste papers in=
 book projects. It's a very rich paint with more pigment and less filler (an=
d a bigger price tag).<BR>
<BR>
Removing the vinyl from the notebook would make more sense. Then, again, wh=
y not make your own notebook with three rings, etc.? &nbsp;It won't be any m=
ore work than deconstructing a mass-produced one and you will have more cont=
rol over the craftsmanship from start to finish.<BR>
<BR>
Good luck. keep us posted.<BR>
Kitty<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
&gt;From: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Regis Koslofsky &lt;regisking@EMAIL.MSN.COM&gt;=
<BR>
&gt;Subject: paste paper<BR>
<BR>
&gt;I am wanting to make a very durable, hard working journal/notebook. &nb=
sp;Has<BR>
&gt;anyone ever taken a regular 3 ring notebook from the office supply stor=
e and:<BR>
&gt;1. &nbsp;removed the vinyl and replaced it with paste paper, etc<BR>
&gt;2. applied paste paper directly to the vinyl or<BR>
&gt;3. applied the paste paints directly to the vinyl???<BR>
&gt;I am thinking of doing #3 as it would seem to be that would be the most=
<BR>
&gt;functional and durable. but #2 seems to be an idea too. &nbsp;Ideas, co=
mments??????<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3035657834_110458374_MIME_Part--