Re: why I pulled my book from the show...

While I think it's wonderful to be able to handle books, after all, that's
why we make them, I refuse to exhibit them if they won't be locked behind
glass. Exhibiting books, or any work of art, is one of the most stressful
things we can do to them. Having organized two shows where works have been
on the road for over a year and been a part of many more, I can honestly
say that nothing has come back without some signs of wear. Some of this is
acceptable, other has not been. In almost all cases it can be traced back
to improper handling by persons installing or packing up. Having the books
handled by viewers, even with gloves adds another much more unacceptable
risk factor.

The scenario described would lead me to pull the item then and there.

Things you can do. Photograph your work, up close; make sure the exhibit is
insured in some way. Some places will have you sign releases.  These should
not release the site from gross negligence. I'm sure there's more.

p.

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography