Re: why I pulled my book.

Jennifer:

GOOD FOR YOU! You did exactly the right thing.
=20
I've been exhibiting for many years, and when the situation doesn't seem
right, I speak up or I'm outa there. Once a nice gallery owner decided to
put my work in the front window... in the sun! You'd think he would know
better, but I pulled my stuff out of his gallery in a hurry.=20

Another time, a group show I was invited to send 8 books to was local
enough that I drove 8 hours for the opening, thinking I 'ought to' show up,
since I was the invited guest of the exhibition. The show was so uneven, so
poorly hung and so ill organized, I couldn't believe it. They had put my
(only) 3 books in an acrylic box with two of someone else's. The remaining
5 books were put away so that they couldn't even find them! Besides all
that, the City gallery was so poorly arranged that I advised them to burn
it down!

I've had work sent back from a show actually hanging out of the box!
Museums are sometimes harder on work than a small gallery. The curators of
exhibitions often have no idea how to hang a show or what precautions to
take with artists' work. Sometimes even including exhibition instructions
with the work doesn't even do any good.=20

If you're not able to attend your exhibition, it's often a good idea to
have someone who lives in the town where you have the work displayed, go
and take a picture of the work, just for your own satisfaction (and
protection).

Good for you, Jennifer. Stand up and scream!

Pat Baldwin

At 12:57 AM 03/12/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>The book...was in front...near the front door. However, it was on a table
>that people were putting their stuff on...like the "mail table" at your
>front door at home.
---
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That
way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
        =20
---
Pat Baldwin
P.O. Box 1711