Pulling your book from the show

Of course this is a personal decision, and I might be in the minority on
this, but I feel as
though I have to put my two cents in on this subject.

Life is hard, maintenence is a part of it. That goes for art as well. For
me, its more
important for the work to get out into the world and been seen, and in a
certain
sense I  believe the work in not really completed until it does go out
into the world.
Sometimes there's damage, hopefully there's insurance. I have had work
damaged-once
deliberately vandalized. It was devastating at the time, but I learned to
move on.
Also, I must point out that most of my work is one of a kind.  A few
years ago I sent
work to be in a show in Mexico, and when I shipped it out, I did wonder if
I would ever see it again. It was a fabulous opportunity, I adore Mexico
and made a
deal with myself that if the work did not come back or came back damaged,
so be it.
The show was to in memory of and to honor Ulysses Carrion and being in
it, was very,
very important to me.  I remember speaking with several others who felt
it was too risky.
It was a chance I personally was willing to make to be a part of that
particular show.
The work did come back in perfect shape.

I teach a lot, and one of the things I am constantly saying is "there is
nothing in
art you can not fix (unlike life) "
And to a certain extent this is true. If you made, you can repair it.
Usually.

Miriam Schaer