Re: Pulling your book from the show

I feel that I must put in my 1.5 cents worth as well. The comments from
Miriam Schaer are so far off the mark, I feel I must relate my thoughts on
the value of ones time.

I do an antique printshop show. I recently found myself replaced in a show I
had done for several  years by someone who did not value their time and
effort and were willing to do the show for the exposure. I realize this is a
bit of a stretch. But, my point is - If you don't value your time or the
results of your efforts, you can be sure no one else will.

The issue of security for a piece of art work on display is very much the
same. It is your work, If you don't make the issue, you only have yourself
to blame when there are problems later. You can be sure I put these points
in the contract I write when I do a show. I have insurance and do my part to
protect etc. But, care and concern on the part of the promoter is a very
important part of the responsibilities of the show. Be it a gallery, shop,
or show.

My real concern with Miriam's comment is that while most of the people on
the list have been supportive of your action, there will always be someone
so anxious for exposure that they will do whatever is necessary and never
complain. These people are the ones who make it difficult for those of us
who are trying to be professional about our dealings with the public and
galleries. This contradiction in attitudes is the stuff on which the show
directors thrive. The attitude they exhibit - "You are just being a finicky
artist, I have plenty of others who would kill for this opportunity". I
respect the right of those who can for whatever reason place limited value
on things they own or produce, but to jeopardize others rights to value
their efforts and time. That I do not respect.

I am always impressed and supportive when I see and hear an artist willing
to stand on principle.

Right On!!

tks

aj