Re: why I pulled my book. [Forwarded for Jack Thompson.]

I agree with Pat Baldwin (and others who supported pulling
the book); museums are at least as bad, if not worse than
galleries.

I have had to restore a 12th c. mss. book and a 15th c. mss.
book because of damage caused by museum curators.

The spine of the 12th c. mss. was broken when the book was
forced open and held in place with mono-filament fishing
line run through a block of wood.  The 15th c. mss. was
dropped onto the floor and the textblock separated from
the cover.

Two different museums.

Jack

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Laboratory
Portland, Oregon 97217
USA

503/735-3942  (voice/fax)

http://www.teleport.com/~tcl

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography