signs of loving use in books

--MS_Mac_OE_3035983939_261749_MIME_Part

DT Fletcher wrote:
Now the thought comes that,even after printing and binding more than a 1000
now, I have never seen one of my own books in the used-condition.
Dog-eared,
pages worn, creased and a little smudged from being used, loved.  To find
such a book would be a real treat.  I would pour over every page looking for
traces of  the reader, and hopefully even find a note or two,.   Actually, I
rather doubt the opportunity will ever come around.  Too bad.

I bound an edition of special edition 14 books, for some friends who were
holding a meeting for Alcoholics Anonymous. The books were a study edition
of the organizations primary book titled Alcoholics Anonymous (usually
called the Big Book because early editions were so thick). It included the
first 164 pages of that book and the original, pre-publication manuscript
version of the text was layed out in facing pages (for easy comparison).
Yes, I did have copyright approval for the edition-an extremely rare thing
to obtain for a full reprint of their book.

The forward of the edition, and the opening statements read at the beginning
of each meeting encouraged the members to write in their books. I even
provided ruled pages between chapters for more extensive annotation. The
theory was that the material provided in the book, rather than being
'gospel' was intended to be thought provoking. The experiences and views of
the current members would be equal in value to the experiences and views of
the original members (authors and editors) of the book.

Word is, that while some people did write in the books, on the whole, they
were left alone. I'm sure some have spilled coffee on them though. :-)

Don Drake
Dreaming Mind

www.dreamingmind.com
ddrake@dreamingmind.com
(510) 727-9131

--MS_Mac_OE_3035983939_261749_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>signs of loving use in books</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
DT Fletcher wrote:<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>Now the thought comes that,even after printing and binding more=
 than a 1000<BR>
now, I have never seen one of my own books in the used-condition. &nbsp;Dog=
-eared,<BR>
pages worn, creased and a little smudged from being used, loved. &nbsp;To f=
ind<BR>
such a book would be a real treat. &nbsp;I would pour over every page looki=
ng for<BR>
traces of &nbsp;the reader, and hopefully even find a note or two,. &nbsp;&=
nbsp;Actually, I<BR>
rather doubt the opportunity will ever come around. &nbsp;Too bad.<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
I bound an edition of special edition 14 books, for some friends who were h=
olding a meeting for Alcoholics Anonymous. The books were a study edition of=
 the organizations primary book titled Alcoholics Anonymous (usually called =
the Big Book because early editions were so thick). It included the first 16=
4 pages of that book and the original, pre-publication manuscript version of=
 the text was layed out in facing pages (for easy comparison). Yes, I did ha=
ve copyright approval for the edition-an extremely rare thing to obtain for =
a full reprint of their book.<BR>
<BR>
The forward of the edition, and the opening statements read at the beginnin=
g of each meeting encouraged the members to write in their books. I even pro=
vided ruled pages between chapters for more extensive annotation. The theory=
 was that the material provided in the book, rather than being 'gospel' was =
intended to be thought provoking. The experiences and views of the current m=
embers would be equal in value to the experiences and views of the original =
members (authors and editors) of the book.<BR>
<BR>
Word is, that while some people did write in the books, on the whole, they =
were left alone. I'm sure some have spilled coffee on them though. :-)<BR>
<BR>
Don Drake<BR>
Dreaming Mind<BR>
<BR>
www.dreamingmind.com<BR>
ddrake@dreamingmind.com<BR>
(510) 727-9131<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3035983939_261749_MIME_Part--