Re: signs of loving use in books

This is collected in the anthology _God In The Dock_.  C. S. Lewis:

     'Yes,' my friend said.  'I don't see why there shouldn't be books in
Heaven.  But you will find that your library in Heaven contains only some of
the books you had on earth.'  'Which?'  I asked.  'The ones you gave away or
lent.'  'I hope the lent ones won't still have all the borrowers' dirty thumb
marks,' said I.  'Oh yes they will,' said he.  'But just as the wounds of the
martyrs will have turned into beauties, so you will find that the thumb-marks
have turned into beautiful illuminated capitals or exquisite marginal
woodcuts.'

E. Penrose