Re: Librarian responds RE: Bad things/good books

The only thing that you have correct here is your reference
to Pogo.   Mia Culpa!

The rest of this is a mix of woes attempting to justify bad
practices.
Sorry, but I do not buy this. It does not offer a solution
to slovenly readers.
It does not seem to deter theft & defacement by the public.
So why do it?
The library paste-on for the card on the rear end paper
should besufficient to identify the book, and even that
should be done with easy to remove flour paste.
Nothing wrong with security strips in the spines either.

With this kind of thinking, I can see that librarians are
just itching to get their hands on some nice original art
works from a future  Rembrandt or Leonardo so that they
can put ink stamps on the stuff, or cut a hole in the
canvass or such.

I have some 40,000 volumes in my private book
collection, after 50 years of collecting. I will never
give it over to some  public library to mindlessly deface.
If I do not decide to sell the collection at auction,
or give it to a private library, I would rather burn them.
Art