Re: Libraries and Rare Books

At Rutgers we have a book arts exhibition every year accompanying our
annual New Jersey Book Arts Symposium. Our first year out, Susan
G. Swartzburg insisted that we hire a book artist as a guest curator,
which has worked out extraordinarily well. Since our first guest
curator, Maria Pisano, also happened to be a skilled conservator, I think
we were able to consolidate our exhibition around a very high standard
of care and control.  (Susan's presence contributed to this standard as
well, and with Sheena Calvert and Denise Mullen following Maria the
standard has remained very high.) We have also encouraged artists to hang
their own cases, a luxury that comes with exhibiting artists who live
nearby (or, I should say, one of the luxuries that comes from living in
New Jersey). Since artists hang their own gallery installations, why
shouldn't book artists do likewise? While our exhibitions tend to be
modest in scope (8 or 9 wall cases), emphatically diverse, with merely
serendipitous or inferrential links among the separate cases, I think our
reputation for privileging the artist's work over the curatorial vision
has been a strong factor in the growth and success of our Symposium
(which, by the way, just in case anyone is interested, will be held on
November 3rd, 2000).

Normally self-deprecating,

Michael

Michael Joseph
   Rare Book and Jerseyana Catalog Librarian
      Rutgers University Libraries
        Technical and Automated Services
        P.O. Box 1350
        Piscataway, New Jersey 08855-1350