Re: Librarian responds RE: Bad things/good books

Hi all,

While ugly stamps, embossing, etc. do deface books, I'm also reminded of
oriental scrolls that were, and probably still are, stamped with the chops
of each suceeding caretaker, adding an esthetic and establishing a history.
To western eyes, these are not defaced artifacts. Similarly, I feel a
bookplates or a signature accomplish the same thing. Its just sad that
institutions are usually heavy handed. There is little or no esthetic to
these embellishments or their placements.

However, my experience has been, that when facing a wonderfully designed
and printed page or drawing, I do not see the ugly stuff that's been added.

> I would rather burn them.
>Art

BOOOOOH!!! ;-)

Regards

Ignacio Frances
if@boybeaver.com

Create & Communicate with BoyBeaver Fonts
http://www.boybeaver.com

Biblio@BoyBeaver: Typography: The People & Their Story
http://www.boybeaver.com/biblio/index.html