Re: Copper

I get my copper tooling foil in 25 ft. rolls from Dick Blick
1-800-621-8293 - ran $45 last time I ordered.

Last summer at book arts jamboree there was a mini-workshop (appologies for
not remembering who taught it) on using rubber stamps to print with vaseline
(a barrier) onto copper then submerging the copper in diluted liver of
sulfer (also available at Dick Blick). The result was a tarnished copper
that had a shiney (untarnished) image where the barrier had been.

I'm not much into rubber stamps, so I started experimenting with other ways
of applying the barrier - I've posted pictures of some samples I created for
a workshop at www.papertrails.com/page14.htm - copper that was pressed on
skin and photo based images using vaseline that was applied with a gocco
printer, an easy way to get images and text onto the copper. One of the
students did really interesting work with hand-drawn illuminated initials
that were set with computer generated text then transfered to the copper
using the Gocco.

I have no idea how long the image will last - I would assume that the
untarnished image will naturally tarnish over time, the oldest samples I
have (the eye) are almost a year old and seem about the same.

Best wishes,
Roberta
paper@oregontrail.net