Re: I would rather burn them

In a message dated 03/19/2000 11:37:18 AM, prtsbyaj@EUREKANET.COM writes:

<< My thought is - we need products which are unique, either artistic
presentations of tried and proven text, OR products presenting new and
unique subject matter. The key word is "OR".>>

Thanks for the clarification. I hoped that was what you meant.

<<We can of course go into a discussion of  "What is New" here. Since the
beginning, everything new has in fact been a rework of an existing product,
be it Tool or Statement. Perhaps we don't want to go there. Huh? >>

Oh, why not? Let's go there. It is oddly comforting to know that, on the one
hand, it is impossible to create anything entirely "new," and on the other,
to believe passionately that one's own creation has validity because it
originates from a unique self. My very favorite quote, copied lovingly into a
sketchbook many years ago, is from Martha Graham:

"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is
translated into action, and because there is only one of you in all time,
this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through
any other medium and be lost. The world will not have it.

"It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how valuable it is,
nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep the
channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You
have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you."

Good words for an artist (of any ilk) to live by, I think. Barbara Harman