Re: Can you identify this item?

>It looks like is sets on a table. It is about 2' high and 2' long and about
3 >inches thick. I guess you could say it has the general shap of an attache
>case. Inside the main "box" are heating elements and along the
>top is solid metal with a rounded top all across the top. When you plug it
>in, the rounded metal top gets hot.

and one reply was:

>It sounds a little like a print dryer. This would have a chrome surface and
>canvas covers that would pull over to hold the prints in place while they
>dried.

John,

We have what appears to be just such a piece of equipment here.  When we
bought a conservator's workshop some years ago (of which it was one item
amongst many), we were advised that it was a dry mounter and  laminator.

You may be able to adapt it for drying wet repairs.  We have a modern heat
press especially designed for this purpose, otherwise we would have probably
adapted it for such work.

Peter N. Krantz.

Book Restorations.
P.O. Box 500,
North Sydney,
N.S.W.               2059,
AUSTRALIA.

(34 Clanville Road,  Roseville,  N.S.W.  2069,  AUSTRALIA.)

Telephone:  +61 2 9416.9900
Fax:  +61 2 9416.6800
Email:  bkfndrs@ozemail.com.au

Established:  1976