Defaced book

--------------A0A85F2A9F339506C92F3F12

I have a scarce eighteenth century Welsh history in my collection which
was defaced some time in the last 50 years by a moron with a ball point
pen who has scrawled in a margin "we are descended from him!" meaning
David Gam. When I first saw this I was disgusted. Then I took in
another, much older, inscription on the flyleaf which reads "From the
library of David Garrick, and sold after the death of his widow".

Without this, the book is just a history of Wales. With these
inscriptions it breathes life. I have even tracked down the "moron" with
the ball-point, and fitted them into the story. A precious book, now.

Problem is - I am glad the Garrick inscription is in permanent ink, and
wish the ball-point one was in pencil. How do we choose?

Ian Bates

 Sage Old Books