Overcooking Wheat Paste?

Is it possible to overcook wheat starch paste?

The instructions on my package from Colophon say, "When it becomes
translucent, cook the paste five more minutes" I think I'm waiting too long
to call it "translucent"...

After I've cooked it, I strain it through a nylon stocking and let it cool
further before I use it -- usually in the fridge since I usually make the
paste the night before I'm going to use it.

At the point where I'm ready to use it, it's hard like jell-o. So I usually
add water and strain it again but it's usually still very stiff.

Is this the normal consistency?

Thanks for any hints.