Re: Overcooking Wheat Paste?

Yes, but then it loses much of it's holding and adhesive properties. After
straining and cooling, thin it down, not before straining. You want it the
consistency of thick cream for paper mending, and most other applications,
so you can brush it smoothly. How much paste/water are you using. You might
want to reduce at the initial measuring too, if it's too thick.

p.

At 11:35 AM 3/21/00 -0800, you wrote:
>Is it possible to overcook wheat starch paste?
>
>The instructions on my package from Colophon say, "When it becomes
>translucent, cook the paste five more minutes" I think I'm waiting too long
>to call it "translucent"...
>
>After I've cooked it, I strain it through a nylon stocking and let it cool
>further before I use it -- usually in the fridge since I usually make the
>paste the night before I'm going to use it.
>
>At the point where I'm ready to use it, it's hard like jell-o. So I usually
>add water and strain it again but it's usually still very stiff.
>
>Is this the normal consistency?
>
>Thanks for any hints.

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography