Photochromic inks

My son just sent me the following info on Photochromic inks --- they show
their colors only when exposed to sunlight.

These inks might be useful to bookartists

Off the top of my head, here is a list of photochromic ink manufacturers.
There was Xytronics out of San Diego, Matsui outof Torrance, Color Change
Corporation out of Chicago, Solar Active out of Van Nuys, 2nd Story Concepts
out of Cleveland, OH, Kiroku Sozai Sozo Kenkyusho and Dainichi Seika of Japan.

Almost ALL the Photochromic dyes, we found out, were made by PPG and
sold to these companies. Although the Japanese claimed to have invented
it, these have been around for a long time and their claims had no
validity as far as we could see. Most of the companies above work with
both the photochromic and the Thermal-chromic inks and 2nd story
concepts in particular was the most advanced and had the best pricing -
probably 2 years ahead of everyone else as far as number of
applications and the costs were concerned. They had done all their R&D
and had been selling it for a while and therefore, their R&D costs had
already been absorbed.

--
Tel: 805-965-5574 / Fax 805-965-2414 / email: mrcinc@silcom.com
Websites: http://www.modelshops.com and http://www.papershops.com and