Re: acid free?

How old is the paper, how was it stored, what's your air quality / temp /
humidity. All those things will affect how paper ages, including pH.
Another issue is "acid-free" and buffered. Paper that is acid-free is not
always buffered, something which will help absorb acids for a longer period
of time. Your pH test was a surface test. Those are less accurate then when
the paper is pulped and then measured.

Wood pulp (most likely chemical in your case) vs rag. Even at a low pH a
rag paper should be stronger than a wood pulp paper because the fibers are
longer and more flexible.

I'm sure I'm leaving some things out here.

p.

At 04:30 PM 3/21/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>I pulled out my trusty pH meter last night to determine the pH of some
>unknown papers. While I was at it, I check some 'known' sheets and was
>surprised by the results.

Hand binding, conservation, and project websites for historical agencies
Peter D. Verheyen
<mailto:verheyen@philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>
Home of the Book Arts Web, Book_Arts-L & John Vassos Bibliography