national typefaces

I am doing some research on national typefaces - the national typographical
equivalent to state flowers and birds. I need to know if any country's
government has commissioned a national typeface as Canada did in the 1960s
with "Cartier". Is there an equivalent in the US, England, France, Italy,
Germany, Netherlands, etc?

Furthermore, I am interested to know what you think are the faces most
representative of each of these countries. Is there a typeface that
immediately makes you think "This is English" or "This is French - or
Italian - or German, etc."

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Razzell
Inferno Press