national typefaces

  Germany and Ireland both had distinctive national typefaces which are
no longer in use.  Fraktur was dropped by the Germans after WWII (I
think because it was identified with Nazi ideology in the minds of the
allies), and Ireland dropped its national type with the formation of the
Republic because it was considered too expensive and isolationist to
maintain.  I have a book at home on the history of the Irish typeface
which was based on medieval insular bookhand. I can send you the full
reference if it would be of use to you.  I believe the author's name is
McDermott, but I need to check it.
 Dorothy Africa