re; permanence of ballpoint ink

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BF967B.5421AC60

I'm afraid I can only provide anecdotal information about ball point pen =
inks, from here on in referred to as biro's, but that includes Bic and =
any others that fall into my hand as they're a personal favourite =
drawing tool. About 15 years ago I made a series of biro portraits, of =
the couple that I sold and still see hanging in friends houses I can't =
detect any deterioration, they've both been kept out of direct sunlight. =
The same was true , last time I looked of the ones stuffed away in an =
old portfolio.
 More recently, I made a series of nlghtscape drawings using =
multi-coloured ballpoint pens, you know the type? big fat pens with 10 =
co;ours, I have to admit I swiped them from my kids. They skim really =
nicely on Ivorex Card and I was able to lay down upto 40 layers of fine =
hatching, when it came to showing the work I was very concerned about =
the light-fastness of the colours and contacted the manufacturers, =
Pentech, in New Jersey. Sadly they had no information available on the =
subject and whoever I spoke to seemed baffled, though they did offer to =
"ask someone" nothing ever came of it. My solution was first, to present =
 them as mounted colour photocopies in a portfolio, more recently, as =
smaller inkjet prints bound in a book. Both of these reproduction =
techniques have their issues too but at least the formats will keep them =
from the light. Incidentally, the covers of both were encrusted with =
coal, as the drawings were of light pollution, in a way that's where we =
started.
Regards, Dave Eyre

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BF967B.5421AC60

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm afraid I can only provide anecdotal =
information=20
about ball point pen inks, from here on in referred to as biro's, but =
that=20
includes Bic and any others&nbsp;that fall into my hand as they're a =
personal=20
favourite drawing tool. About 15 years ago I made a series of biro =
portraits, of=20
the couple that I sold&nbsp;and still see hanging in friends houses I =
can't=20
detect any deterioration, they've both been kept out of direct sunlight. =
The=20
same was true , last time I looked of the ones stuffed away in an old=20
portfolio.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;More recently, I made a series of =
nlghtscape=20
drawings using multi-coloured ballpoint pens, you know the type? big fat =
pens=20
with 10 co;ours, I have to admit I swiped them from my kids. They skim =
really=20
nicely on Ivorex Card and I was able to lay down upto 40 layers of fine=20
hatching, when it came to showing the work I was very concerned about =
the=20
light-fastness of the colours and contacted the manufacturers, Pentech, =
in New=20
Jersey. Sadly they had no information available on the subject and =
whoever I=20
spoke to seemed baffled, though they did offer to "ask someone" nothing =
ever=20
came of it. My solution was first, to present&nbsp; them as mounted =
colour=20
photocopies in a portfolio, more recently, as smaller inkjet prints =
bound in a=20
book. Both of these reproduction techniques have their issues too but at =
least=20
the formats will keep them from the light. Incidentally, the covers of =
both were=20
encrusted with coal, as the drawings were of light pollution, in a way =
that's=20
where we started.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Regards, Dave =
Eyre</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_002E_01BF967B.5421AC60--