Re: Archival ink jet inks

In a message dated 3/25/00 1:08:02 AM, bvalenta@MINDSPRING.COM writes:

An update on new Epson inks. I called 1-800-GO EPSON to inquire .......
Here's what the man with whom I spoke said. He said ....
<< He futher said that in order to call them archival they would
have to last for 85 years but that these could be called long-lasting
because they will last fifteen years, a significant improvement on the
current inks said to last 2 to 3 years.  >>

**************
I am amazed to read this comment about an ink lasting "2 to 3 years". Under
what conditions does the company make this statement?
For anyone who uses an inkjet printer, the thought of losing the hardcopy in
such a short time is deplorable. I would not expect the ink to survive very
long when exposed to light, such as in an exhibtion, but is it possible that
the inks are fading even when stored in a filing cabinet? If that is the
case, we as consumers need to know, AND then refuse to purchase such items.
Are we becoming such a "Disposable Society" that we would accept the fact
that our printed letters would survive only "2 to 3 years"? I WOULD HOPE
NOT!!!
Computer information, such as, CD's, disks, tapes, etc. are known to be
short-lived, but one would hope that our hard copies would survive a little
longer. "2 to 3 years" is unacceptable. We need to know more.
P.S. I use an archival ink for my printer.

Bill Minter
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020