Re: Permanence of ball point pen ink

In a message dated 3/24/00 2:32:41 PM, virginia@GROVE.NET writes:

<< In the discussion of inks, does anyone have any hard data that would
give an idea of the lightfastness and permanence of ink from ball point pens
(Bic in particular) when used on acid free paper? >>
*********************

Note:  These are my thoughts, with no knowledge otherwise. Hopefully, there
will be more information from experts on the subject.

Hard data on ANY modern product is IMPOSSIBLE!  Manufacturers have (and will)
change the formulation of their product after you/we have had it tested by an
independent lab. There is usually no announcement of a change in formulation,
nor any guarantee that a change has not been made. We can only trust those
manufacturers that understand our needs and strive to meet those needs by
providing a product that IS, what they says IT IS.
As to ball-point pen inks, there is probably no ink that is lightfast and
permanent because of the dyes that are used. Test the ink (or whatever) for
yourself. A sunny window is a good place to start with ink on paper. You will
be surprized/amazed at how fugitive common/everyday inks are.
I look forward to seeing more comments about this topic.

Bill Minter
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020