Paper grain question

I'm in the process of restoring a French binding.   The original decoratives
have to be backed for strength, and I just noticed that the grain of these
is perpendicular to the spine of the book.   The text block grain appears to
lie parallel to the  spine.
    My question is this:  should the grain of the (new) backing for the
decoratives be parallel to original decorative or to the spine of the book?
Unfortunately, I'm in a rural area, and the client is in a hurry for his
book and isn't willing to wait for a paper order for handmade paper to
arrive.  :-((
    Thanks!
Virginia